Witnessing and experiencing abuse has many negative effects on children, including:
- Inability to express, share or process their feelings
- Unexplained, abrupt changes in behavior
- Aggressive to self or others
- Difficulties in peer and adult relationships
- Sibling rivalry
- Poor Social Skills
- Low Self-Esteem
- Lack of Self-Confidence
- Powerlessness and Shame
- Hopelessness and Helplessness
DVCC's Support Services for Children
- Weekly Support Group: A confidential setting where children can talk and be listened to, and provide information to help children make changes in behavior and improve self-image and confidence.
- Prevention of abuse through education, activities, and protection planning.
- Weekly Children's Activities to help children become more relaxed and comfortable, promote a positive atmosphere, and strengthen self-esteem.